My Payslips and Salary Journey from fresher to Team Lead
The payslips shown below are my own payslips from my IT career. I am sharing them to give freshers, working professionals and job seekers a real-world view of how an IT career and salary can progress over time.
Important: These are my own payslips. Personal identifiers, banking information, employee numbers and other private information have been removed or redacted before publication. The salary figures shown are my actual compensation for the respective payroll periods and should not be interpreted as a standard salary for all IT professionals.
My IT Career Started With ₹2.75 Lakh Per Annum
I started my IT career with an annual salary of ₹2.75 lakh per annum.
At that stage, my priority was not simply earning a high salary. I wanted to enter the IT industry, gain practical experience, learn from real projects and build a long-term career.
Looking back after more than 14 years, I can clearly see how experience, responsibilities, skills, role changes and career progression have influenced my compensation over time.
That is the main reason I am sharing this journey.
A person's salary should not be judged only by the number they earn today. The career path that leads to that number is often much more important.
14+ Years of Experience in IT
Today, I have more than 14 years of experience in the IT industry.
Over the years, I have worked through different stages of a professional career, from building technical experience to taking on greater responsibilities.
I am currently working as a Team Lead.
Being a Team Lead is a different responsibility from simply being an individual contributor.
The role can involve technical guidance, team coordination, delivery responsibilities, communication with stakeholders and helping team members solve problems.
My salary today is therefore the result of a long career journey rather than a single salary increase.
My Current Role: Team Lead
At present, I am working as a Team Lead.
As responsibilities increase, the expectations also change.
A Team Lead may need to balance several areas at the same time:
Technical understanding
Team coordination
Delivery responsibility
Problem solving
Communication
Stakeholder management
Supporting team members
The transition from an individual contributor to a leadership-oriented role is one of the important stages in my career.
I Am Currently Waiting for My Promotion
At the time of writing this article, I am waiting for my next promotion.
I expect the promotion to come with an additional salary increase of 13% or more, based on the compensation change I am expecting for the next level.
This should be understood as an expected increase associated with my promotion, not as a guaranteed salary until the promotion and revised compensation are officially confirmed by my employer.
Once the promotion is completed, I may update this article with the new role and revised salary information.
That will allow this page to become a continuing record of my IT career progression.
What My Payslips Show
The six payslips shared on this page cover March 2025 through August 2025.
They provide an interesting view of how monthly earnings can change even within the same employment period.
For example, the gross earnings shown in these payslips range from approximately ₹1.47 lakh to ₹2.82 lakh, while net pay ranges from approximately ₹1.22 lakh to ₹2.32 lakh. The variation is mainly associated with changes in salary components such as variable or bonus-related payments during particular months.
March 2025
The March payslip shows gross earnings of ₹149,793 and net pay of ₹123,008. It includes components such as basic salary, HRA, personal allowance, other allowance, on-call/shift allowance and leave travel allowance.
April 2025
The April payslip shows gross earnings of ₹147,565 and net pay of ₹123,287.
May 2025
The May payslip is significantly higher because it includes a variable-pay component of ₹134,838. Gross earnings are ₹282,303, with net pay of ₹231,649.
This is a good example of why one month's payslip should not automatically be treated as an employee's normal monthly salary.
June 2025
The June payslip includes a ₹35,000 referral bonus, resulting in gross earnings of ₹182,465 and net pay of ₹150,252.
July 2025
The July payslip shows gross earnings of ₹147,165 and net pay of ₹122,260.
August 2025
The August payslip shows gross earnings of ₹147,065 and net pay of ₹122,181.
Why My Monthly Salary Changes From Month to Month
Looking at the six payslips makes one thing very clear:
Monthly salary is not always identical every month.
My regular monthly earnings were relatively consistent in several months, while May and June were higher because of additional compensation components.
This is important for anyone trying to understand an IT payslip.
A single month with a large payout does not necessarily mean that the employee's fixed monthly salary has permanently increased.
Similarly, a lower month does not necessarily mean that the employee has received a salary cut.
Variable pay, bonuses, reimbursements and other payroll components can create significant month-to-month differences.
My Salary Progression Is More Than Just Annual Hikes
When people look at a 14-year IT career, they often ask:
“How did the salary increase from the starting point to the current level?”
The answer is usually not just annual appraisal percentages.
Salary progression can come from a combination of:
Annual salary revisions
Promotions
Changes in responsibilities
Role changes
Job switches
Skill development
Leadership responsibilities
Market opportunities
My own journey is an example of this broader progression.
I started with ₹2.75 lakh per annum, gained experience over the years, moved into more responsible positions and eventually reached a Team Lead role.
What I Learned About Salary Growth
One of the biggest lessons I learned is that salary growth and career growth are connected, but they are not exactly the same thing.
A higher salary is useful, but the skills and responsibilities behind that salary are what make the career sustainable.
A professional can receive a large increase but still be in a role with limited growth.
Another person may receive a smaller increase but gain valuable technical or leadership experience that creates better opportunities later.
I therefore believe that salary should always be considered together with role, learning and future career potential.
My Career Journey From ₹2.75 Lakh to Team Lead
When I started my career at ₹2.75 lakh per annum, I was at the beginning of my professional journey.
At that time, I had much less experience than I have today.
Over more than 14 years, the biggest change has not only been my salary.
It has been the change in:
Knowledge
Responsibilities
Confidence
Problem-solving ability
Professional communication
Leadership
Understanding of business and technology
That progression is what I value most when I look back at my career.
What Fresher Salaries Do Not Tell You
A fresher may start with a salary that looks low compared with experienced professionals.
That does not mean the career has reached a dead end.
The first salary is simply the starting point.
What matters is what happens during the next several years.
A fresher who develops strong technical skills, understands business requirements, takes ownership and continuously learns can create opportunities for much stronger roles later.
My own career started at ₹2.75 lakh per annum, which is a useful reminder that today's starting salary does not have to define the eventual career path.
Why I Am Publishing My Actual Payslips
I decided to share these payslips because salary discussions on the internet often use generic examples.
A real payslip shows something different.
It demonstrates how salary components can actually appear in payroll and how monthly earnings can change because of variable compensation or other adjustments.
My purpose is not to say:
“This is what every Team Lead earns.”
That would be misleading.
Instead, I want to show:
“This is what my own career compensation looked like during these payroll periods.”
That distinction is important.
My Salary Is Not a Benchmark for Every Team Lead
A common mistake when reading salary articles is assuming that one person's compensation represents the whole industry.
It does not.
Two Team Leads with similar years of experience can have very different salaries because of:
Technology
Industry
Employer
Location
Role complexity
Team size
Client responsibilities
Skills
Performance
Previous compensation
Negotiation
Promotion history
Therefore, my salary should be viewed as one real-world career example, not as an industry-wide benchmark.
The Importance of Role Progression
As experience increases, role progression becomes increasingly important.
A professional may progress through stages such as:
Fresher → Software Engineer → Senior Engineer → Lead → Team Lead → Manager or Technical Specialist
The actual career path varies by company and specialization.
The title is only part of the progression.
Responsibilities, decision-making authority and technical or managerial expectations also increase.
What I Would Tell My Younger Self
If I could go back to the beginning of my IT career, I would give myself one simple piece of advice:
Do not focus only on the next salary hike. Focus on becoming more valuable.
Learn the technology properly.
Understand the project.
Take responsibility.
Improve communication.
Learn how the business works.
Be willing to adapt when technology changes.
Build a reputation for reliability.
The salary generally becomes easier to negotiate when your skills and responsibilities have grown.
What I Am Working Toward Next
My current position is Team Lead, and I am waiting for my next promotion.
The expected salary increase of 13% or more would be another milestone in my career.
Once the promotion and revised compensation are formally confirmed, I can update this page so that it continues to document my career progression.
For now, this article represents my journey from a ₹2.75 lakh starting salary to more than 14 years of IT experience and a Team Lead role.
A Simple Lesson From My 14+ Years in IT
If there is one thing my career has taught me, it is that careers do not grow in a straight line.
There can be years of rapid progress.
There can be years with smaller increases.
There can be role changes.
There can be periods where learning is more valuable than immediate compensation.
There can also be unexpected opportunities.
The important thing is to keep moving forward.
Frequently Asked Questions
What was your starting salary?
I started my IT career with ₹2.75 lakh per annum.
How many years of IT experience do you have?
I currently have more than 14 years of IT experience.
What is your current role?
I am currently working as a Team Lead.
Are the payslips shown on this page yours?
Yes. They are my own payslips, with personal and sensitive information removed or redacted before publication.
What period do these payslips cover?
The six payslips shown here cover March 2025 to August 2025.
Why is one month's salary much higher than another?
Some months can contain additional payments such as variable pay or bonuses. In my six-month set, May includes variable pay and June includes a referral bonus, which increases total earnings for those months.
Are you currently waiting for a promotion?
Yes. I am currently waiting for my next promotion.
How much salary increase do you expect after the promotion?
I am expecting an increase of 13% or more with the promotion. This is an expected increase and will be confirmed only when the promotion and revised compensation are officially finalized.
Does your salary represent the salary of every Team Lead?
No. My compensation is specific to my career, employer, role and employment terms. It should not be considered a standard salary for all Team Leads.
Can a fresher who starts with a low salary eventually earn much more?
Yes, career progression can lead to substantially different compensation over time. However, there is no guaranteed salary path because career outcomes depend on skills, role, employer, performance and many other factors.
Final Thoughts
My IT career started with a salary of ₹2.75 lakh per annum.
Today, after more than 14 years in IT, I am working as a Team Lead and waiting for my next promotion.
The payslips displayed on this page provide a real example of my compensation during March to August 2025, including months where additional variable or bonus payments affected the total earnings.
I am sharing this information because I believe real career examples can be more useful than generic salary tables.
My salary journey is not a promise of what another IT professional will earn.
It is simply my own journey.
From a starting salary of ₹2.75 lakh per annum to 14+ years of experience and a Team Lead role, the biggest lesson has been that career growth comes from continuously increasing your skills, responsibilities and ability to contribute.
My next milestone is the promotion I am currently waiting for. If it is formally completed with the expected 13% or more increase, I plan to update this article with the next stage of my salary journey.
Disclaimer: This article documents my personal IT career and historical salary information. The payslips shown are my own documents, with personal and sensitive information removed or redacted. My compensation is specific to my employment, role and circumstances and should not be treated as a salary benchmark for other IT professionals. Salary, promotion and compensation outcomes vary by employer, role, skills, experience, location, performance and company policies.






No comments:
Post a Comment